Friday 6 April 2012

My Musical Loves: The Walkmen

My first "My Musical Loves" post concerns my favourite band, US rockers The Walkmen. They are from various parts of the eastern US, and were formed in 2000 out of the ashes of a couple of bands...yadda yadda yadda... - the backstory doesn't really interest me, rather the music!



 The Walkmen (l-r): Peter Bauer (bass/organ), Walter Martin (piano/bass), Hamilton Leithauser (vocals, guitar), Paul Maroon (guitar/piano), Matt Barrick (drums).

They are a five-piece, fronted by Hamilton Leithauser and backed by some incredibly accomplished musicians, most notably the best drummer in christendom in Matt Barrick. If there is another drummer alive who matches Barrick for sheer timing and "Animal"-like skin-bashing, I've yet to find them.

I guess like most fans of the band, I found out about them through their incredible breakthrough single, "The Rat" in 2004. I was getting ready to head out shopping in Richmond with the Missus, and had MTV2 on. Suddenly, as we were about to leave, on comes this incredible song, backed by what looked like a very primitive video - just the band in black and white in a room, pounding out the vicious tone of the tune matched by the sheer venom of Leithauser yelling "Can't you hear me, I'm pounding at your door!"



The Walkmen perform "The Rat" on the David Letterman show.

I was hooked. All I could think of as we headed to Richmond was that I had to head to HMV and get this CD. Fortunately they weren't one-trick ponies, and "Bows and Arrows" turned out to be everything I hoped it would be, displaying an impressive array from the venom of "The Rat" to the majesty of "New Year's Eve". I eventually established as my favourite "Thinking of a Dream I Had" - another high-tempo affair backed by a driving beat from Barrick.

I'll admit that I was initially disappointed with the follow-up, "A Hundred Miles Off" - initially somewhat difficult to get into, with some of the tunes buried behind venomous openings - but several listens finally yielded an appreciation of the quality behind it. Oh, and in "Brandy Alexander" one of my favourite songs.

No such difficulty with "You & Me", which takes pride of place as my favourite album of all-time. A mellower effort, a masterpiece from start to finish. And then there's "Canadian Girl", dear gawd there's "Canadian Girl". As soon as Barrick announced the slight crescendo of the song by clattering his cymbals, I realised I was listening to something very special indeed. And now it is my favourite song, ever ever ever.


The Walkmen perform "Canadian Girl" at the legendary Sun Studios.

Finally, in August 2010 and again in January 2011, I was able to catch them live. By this time they were in the process of releasing "Lisbon", which served as proof that they remain so criminally under-rated, another masterpiece mixing the up-tempo ("Angela Surf City") and the downbeat ("Lisbon") to great effect. This year they release "Heaven" which, knowing them, it will be.

I guess what I like about them is that they clearly care so much about their music. Every note is honed to a thou of an inch, their songs have an inspiring quality whether jolting you out of your slumber or meandering quietly along, in short they are just so damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment